What is Controlled Waste?

Materials requiring additional or special handling when tipped at the landfill are considered Controlled Waste. These materials include:

  • Any load of animal carcasses weighing more than 50 kg in total
  • Asbestos
  • Soils (all)
  • Loads of land clearing debris or construction/demolition waste exceeding 5 cubic meters
  • Broken concrete or asphalt
  • Waste ash from incinerators
  • Septage
How Do I Dispose of Controlled Waste?

A Controlled Waste Disposal Permit Application must be submitted to the Regional District at least 48 hours prior to planned disposal. The permit application must be approved by the Regional District prior to delivery of waste to the landfill. Permit applications can be completed online or submitted in person to the RDKS office.

Where Can I Dispose of Controlled Waste?

Controlled Waste is accepted at:

  • Forceman Ridge Waste Management Facility,
  • Hazelton Waste Management Facility, and
  • Mezidain Landfill.

The Iskut Landfill and Kitwanga Transfer Station accept limited materials identified as Controlled Waste including: construction and demolition waste and land clearing debris not exceeding 30 cubic meters.

Septage haulers may register with the Regional District for regular disposal of septage waste rather than completing an application for every disposal event.

Industrial users can dispose waste at our Facilities, including Meziadin Landfill, Forceman Ridge Waste Management Facility, and Hazelton Waste Management Facility, but must apply for permission in advance using the Controlled Waste Application Form.   Industrial users will be charged a 25% surcharge in addition to the bylaw fee schedule.

Controlled Waste Application
  • Kelly Brown, Solid Waste Services Coordinator