Renovation Waste Disposal for Residents

NEW: Residential waste materials potentially containing asbestos must meet certain requirements before being accepted into RDKS waste facilities.

As of April 2, 2024, a new policy is in effect for all residents wanting to dispose of renovation waste in the Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine. 

If you have renovation waste materials, anything considered to be Asbestos Containing Material will only be accepted at Hazelton Waste Management Facility, Thornhill Transfer Station, or Meziadin Landfill. This waste must be bagged and labelled correctly (double bagged in 6mil clear plastic bags, sealed with tape or gooseneck tied, labeled as "asbestos") before the facility will accept it. 

Please read through the FAQs below, or download the information sheet here.

Image of a house with arrows indicating where asbestos might be.


Frequently Asked Questions

What is asbestos?

Asbestos is a material that was used in industrial products since the 1800s. Its main uses were for sound absorption and fire and heat resistance. However, we now know that inhalation of asbestos fibres can cause serious illnesses. Up until 1990, asbestos was regularly used in ceiling texture, drywall mud, flooring, and attic insulation.

This is why any renovation waste from a house built prior to 1990 is considered Asbestos Containing Material unless proven otherwise.

How will this policy affect me?

This policy affects any residents that want to dispose of renovation or construction waste at RDKS waste facilities. 

Please be aware that only a home owner that lives in the residence generating waste is able to transport asbestos waste under 5 m³ or 1,000 kg to a waste facility. Learn more in the More Information tab below and from this guide from the B.C. Government.


What do I need to do?

If you need to dispose of renovation or construction waste, when you arrive at the waste facility you will be required to show the scale attendant proof of home ownership and also either:

  • A clear date stamp on each of the materials
  • A test result from an approved laboratory

If you cannot provide either of the items listed above and if the structure at the address where the materials were taken from was built before 1990, the waste will be treated as Asbestos Containing Material.

To dispose of any materials deemed Asbestos Containing Materials, they must be;

  • Doubled bagged in 6-mil clear plastic bags
  • Securely sealed, either goosenecked-tied or taped
  • Labelled as asbestos

These requirements are in accordance with WorkSafeBC regulation. In addition, the load of materials must not:

  • Exceed 5m³ (A load greater than 5 m³ is considered controlled waste and will be subjected to a controlled waste application.)
  • Exceed 1,000 kg (if you transport more than 1,000 kg of waste material you are subject to a License to Transport and a Generator registration. Learn more at the link in the More Information tab below, or view this guide from the B.C. Government.)
Which waste facilities accept Asbestos Containing Materials?

Only these waste facilities are equipped to accept residential Asbestos Containing Materials:

Hazelton Waste Management Facility
82 Birch Road

Thornhill Transfer Station
3016 Old Lakelse Lake Drive

Meziadin Landfill
14512 Highway 37

Learn more about the RDKS's waste facilities.

What are some of the possible locations for asbestos in a house?

Some potential locations for asbestos in a home built prior to 1990 are:


Plaster/drywall joints
Stippled finishes
Thermal spray cement panels
Drywall joint compound


Vinyl floor tile
Floor leveling compounds
Vinyl sheet flooring
Vinyl floor tile


T-bar ceiling tile
Cement ceiling tile
Acoustic and stippled finishes 
Plaster/drywall joints  
T-bar ceiling tile
Glue-on ceiling tile


Fireproofing spray
Cement pipes
Fire proofing
Cement pipe


Stucco insulation
Felts and mastics
Bricks and mortar
Asbestos cement


Boiler room
Fan room
Machine room
Crawl space
Wall cavity
Attic insulation
Duct insulation
Vermiculite insulation

Insulation on either exposed or concealed pipes
Steam or hot water
Domestic water
Rain water lines
Gaskets in flanged pipe joints
Pipe insulation

Learn more at WorksafeBC.